• Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #14792 by dustydelux
New to Dry aging was created by dustydelux
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to dry aging and I have wanted to do it for awhile so I have started! I bought a 13Lb NY loin and did the whole transfer into the bag out of the plastic bag it came in. I felt like I got ok coverage when I vacuumed sealed it not perfect the ends are a bit lose and some of the sides but it's definitely stuck mostly to the meat. It's been 22 days so far the meat has turned a dark red and hardened my only concern is I have started to notice a bit of gray ish brown coloring where the meat is stuck to the umai bag it almost seems a bit wet looking still maybe I'll try and upload a photo see why you guys think! Hopefully I'm over thinking!

Thanks excited to be apart of this group!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #14793 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic New to Dry aging
Welcome aboard! Everything you have described is quite common. I find some sub-primals take on different hues of brown and reddish gray than others and they are the same cut of meat!
Ron

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #14796 by PrimoDude
Replied by PrimoDude on topic New to Dry aging
Hello Ron, and a report on my latest run with a full ribeye loin. I started this one the same day I received my drybags. Its been many years that have passed since we both hooked up with drybag. And posted on BGE forums. You know the history.. smiley. OK I put this one on toast June 22nd (you count the days till August 1. I sliced it up yesterday. The outer crust was stiff like a board but nice color. I cut out 16 steaks with BEAUTIFUL color and texture. 10 to 12 oz. each. Maybe one or two 16 oz. Who is weighing. These are fantastic looking steaks. Oooooh. I cannot wait. I sampled a few very thin raw meat scraps and delicioius. I am using the old first run vacuum sealers that I used the paper clips method years ago. Your new white strips worked fine with the older machine. I may invest in the newer one as time goes buy, but at 88 years of age this month of July, I hesitate. Many thanks Ron for all the work you do here...Cheers.. Old "C~W"

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #14797 by RRP
Fred - GREAT to hear from you! Yes, it has been a long time. This recent meat aging is a testimony to the UMAi Dry® bag success story. I'm sure the BagLady will also enjoy reading your report as well.
Elsewhere the old green room is bearly alive with only old timers posting now and then.The corporate forum is very active with newbies and a few crazy uncles stirring the with OT subjects.
My Rutland biz is active with number 5,328 shipped as of yesterday.
Hang in there pal!
Ron

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #14798 by PrimoDude
Replied by PrimoDude on topic New to Dry aging
Ok Ron, and a question.. if your on Facebook look me up. Or e.mail is fine. Primogrills forum is quiet also... but there is a new users forum that is quite active. Great cooks showing up.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 6 hours ago #14816 by RRP
Yes - you are needlessly worrying! Those soft spots are common. You're be fine!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds