• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14851 by NickR
making capicola was created by NickR
Hi All, I'm a brand new member and want to make capicola. I have ordered all the tools and I just got the pork butt and now comes the moment of truth! I have 3 questions for the pro's, #1- I have NO skills cutting meat and wonder if after cutting the coppa muscle can I wrap up the rest of the meat and use it for a second capicola. #2- can I use pork tenderloin for making capicola, #3-I have a foodsaver #2865 and it has a wet button can it be used for the curing and aging process. Thanks to all for any help, all the best NickR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14853 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic making capicola
Nick, here's your post. To control spamming one of us have to first approve you and your post. I have been gone much of today so I'm just now seeing your original post.

There should be a charcuterie expert along some time. If not and you are on FaceBook there are UMAi Dry® bag experts there though at this moment I do not have the link.
Ron

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14854 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic making capicola
Thanks Ron for your reply, I'm an old guy and don't know much about facebook so I will wait for someone on this forum to reply. Again thanks NickR.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14855 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic making capicola
Well, sir, I'm 75 myself and have never been on FB either! Perhaps somebody you know can take this info and get you the help:

UMAi® Salumi, Charcuterie and Dry Age Meats

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 23 hours ago #14856 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic making capicola
God bless you RRP, keep up the good work. I will turn 91 in a couple of days,I will try to get my daughter or granddaughter to reply on facebook for an answer. Thanks again for your help NickR

• Hillbilly John
  • Away
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 days 14 hours ago #14879 by Hillbilly John
Replied by Hillbilly John on topic making capicola
You certainly can use the "leftover" part of the butt...I've made coppa before and honestly...only one of the 2 butchers I bought from knew what I was even talking about..maybe purists would poo-poo it being an authentic coppa..screw them I say. I'm sure you could get similar results with a port tenderloin but same thing about the purists. I'm not a foodsaver expert..the one thing I do know about them is I'd never buy another (chamber vac snob here and the killer of at least 5 foodsavers). The wet function I believe is their attempt to accommodate a non-chamber-vac's inability to deal with liquid in the bags. I don't know if you have access to a real butcher shop..but the one I go to would almost certainly run your projects thru their chamber vac...assuming you are buying product from them. My country butcher will do a lot of things for me. I did a bone-in beef ribber and when it was done and trimmed, they ran it thru their meat saw for me.

My $.02 worth.

Presque Isle, Wi - A friendly drinking town with a fishing problem.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds