Dry Aging Briskett - Bad Smell, Can this be saved?

• BeefNPork
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15116 by BeefNPork
Hello,

I put a 15lb brisket in the bag 15 days ago. I put it on a rack but realized I used the wrong fridge, I used a small bar fridge with out a fan. I opened the fridge yesterday and it was very firm but smells not good. Debating on opening it up and cutting off the outside. Is this possible or is it completely ruined at this point?

Thanks,

Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15118 by RRP
Ohhh, this doesn't sound good at all, Joel. Most likely your nose has already warned you your meat is ruined.
Ron

• BeefNPork
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15119 by BeefNPork
I was afraid of that, shoot. A spendy mistake. Well I'm 1 for 2. Can't win them all I guess.

• BeefNPork
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #15120 by BeefNPork
Hello Ron,

Sooo, I may have made a mistake in not checking this out myself but listening to my wife's comments. I actually went and took it out last night and there was a smell but it was like rotten more earthy, no mold, and the bag is still attached on the meat side very well, but is starting to loosen on the fat side. Thinking of riding it out a bit longer to see how it progresses. I wanted to go 45 days. Any other advice on how to know if I should stay the course.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #15121 by RRP
Well, Sir - it's your meat so your call! As for it coming loosen from the fat side that is not unusual.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds