Rotten Smell 5 days in

• Joro
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #15161 by Joro
Rotten Smell 5 days in was created by Joro
I bought a 9 pound prime grade rib roast 5 days in it smells rotten. I did not buy the roast in original plastic seal. It was already removed at butcher shop. They also cut the bones with a saw. Butcher was nice enough to vac seal for me in the UMAi bag. Should I throw it out or be patient? It’s smelling slightly like it’s rotten. I know I should’ve bought with it in original packaging. I’m assuming this is a dumb arse rookie mistake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #15162 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Rotten Smell 5 days in
Even with the long list of violations you yourself have admitted to, you should not have a rotten smell at five days IF aging in a a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment
If, however, you are going Cowabunga with your refrigerator set up, any bacteria or mold that the butcher introduced could go awry quickly in less than optimal refrigerator conditions.

Dry aging geek

• Joro
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #15164 by Joro
Replied by Joro on topic Rotten Smell 5 days in
Thanks for your response. Refrigerator is in side. It’s a two year old Samsung so I’m sure that’s not the issue. The smell isn’t awful. Just kinda smells like blood.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #15165 by BagLady
You may need to adjust your nose a bit--dry aging is, literally, controlled rot. The scent is funky--blue cheese, forest, earth--but not "rotten," per se.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joro

• Joro
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #15167 by Joro
Replied by Joro on topic Rotten Smell 5 days in
So maybe I’m just an idiot. I went and got a 17 lb prime roast to replace it, and when I opened the new one it smelled exactly like the slight odor in my fridge. I’m guessing it’s that normal small you’re talking about. Good news is I’ve got 30 pounds in process of dry aging now. Bad news is not much room in fridge.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #15169 by BagLady
With that much meat releasing moisture, any fridge is going to have trouble managing the humidity optimally. Expect more odor to collect, and aging to be slower. Make sure temp remains in the 34-38F range open fridge several times a day to trigger the compressor to cycle.

Dry aging geek

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds