Meat Packaging Film Under Roast - And Thank You!

• davethebrave
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #15284 by davethebrave
Hello and Happy 2020,

I began the dry aging process on a new york strip about 25 days ago ago. Just now I noticed there is a meat packaging film underneath that somehow I missed when sealing. Nothing smells bad, but the area where the film is present is a white, slightly yellow color (clearly different color than the rest of the bottom of the roast, but It doesn't look like mold)

I see it says a lot on the forum to trust the nose with these matters. Does that same rule apply here or is there other problems that may arise due to there being a foreign substance in the bag?

Also, thank you. I see how question here are answered promptly and helpfully. You have an amazing product that gives me an opportunity to do something that would otherwise be impossible with my current resources, and it's so easy. Just amazing.

Hope you all have a happy and blessed new year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #15287 by RRP
Yes - the nose is your guide! Unfortunately the meat under that material will not be dry aged as much as the rest of the meat since that material has acted as a moisture barrier. The foreign substance issue in your case tells me the meat was not purchased in a cryovac bag, but rather had been repackaged by the store where you purchased it. Typically that CAN mean the meat had been subjected to bacteria, but at 25 days into it my guess is you dodged that bullet!
Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds