Bag has not bonded to large portion of ribeye.

• Dvandam88
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #15297 by Dvandam88
Started a 14lb boneless ribeye roast and the bond to the bag at the time seemed fine. It's been a couple weeks and the bond is not there on most of the top of the roast. It seems to look fine but there are a bunch of white specks on about half of the roast. Is it fine to continue aging for the full 45 days as is? I'm going to anyway but I'm just curious. Would hate to have wasted so much money. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #15298 by BagLady
The first questions are:
1. Did you do a clean transfer directly from the processor packaging? This would prevent any surface inoculation of mold and would guarantee that necessary gooey moist surface.
2. Did you start aging the first 7-10 days meat side down, fat cap up on the open wire rack? If you, you gave the larger meat surface the optimum conditions for best bonding.
3. Did you gently flip onto the fat cap after this time? That step would allow the moisture in the meat to gravitate toward the fat cap, and give it the best chance of staying in contact with the UMAi Dry® membrane, though that surface need not have perfect contact at all.
4. These white dots could be fat or salts from the meat, these often appear on the surface as the meat shrinks away from the UMAi Dry membrane. Watch for any change in color and stop aging if you see the color change to greenish, blackish or other.
Hope this helps.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dvandam88

• Dvandam88
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #15300 by Dvandam88
Replied by Dvandam88 on topic Bag has not bonded to large portion of ribeye.
That would be my mistake. I did not start aging meat side down for the first 7-10 days. Do you think I'll still be okay? I don't notice any green so that's a relief.

Edit- I am using a wire cooling rack. :)
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Dvandam88.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15309 by Adventureman
Replied by Adventureman on topic Bag has not bonded to large portion of ribeye.
I had an 18 LB bone in NY that lost its seal in the first few days & I had parchment, paper on the bones. I was out of bags so I ordered more ASAP. At 12 days I re-bagged it after wiping it down with a fairly damp salt water rag. It aged it for a total of 58 days & it turned out magnificent,,, best of my 12 plus primal projects....

If you care to chat email me; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I’ll send you my cell.

Cheers!

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds