First time getting this on a rib loin

• clcaruthers
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #15302 by clcaruthers
First time getting this on a rib loin was created by clcaruthers
So I'm currently 21ish days into a 45 day bag. I was flipping the rib loin last night and noticed the paper towels (per the instructions) covering the bone had an off, greenish color on the paper towel. It looks like it's contained to the paper towel only, but it's a first for me. It was a 22lb Australian waygu rib loin. Good seal and bond from the start before I flipped. It was a high graded loin and I expected a lot of moisture losses due to the extreme marbling, and I even though it's shrunk quite a bit and the bag isn't as tight, slightly pulling the bag and seeing it rebound tells me it's still got a vacuum on it. What should I do about it? Is it normal for this around the bones? Should I wait and see if it propagates paste the paper towel? cut it off now and reseal?

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #15303 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First time getting this on a rib loin
Well, Sir...while it sounds like you took advised precautions for the bone ends...just the same that green is mold and may very well be a problem...

At this point I wouldn’t flip it anymore! Your nose will give you progress reports on to your 45:day drying goal.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: clcaruthers

• clcaruthers
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #15305 by clcaruthers
Replied by clcaruthers on topic First time getting this on a rib loin
I panicked and pulled it from the bag. Looks like it was contained to the paper towels only. It still smelled perfect, and the meat wasn't tainted in any way from what I could tell. I still cut off the meat where it was showing in those areas, and I'll let it sit for the rest of the time. Fingers crossed it's no longer an issue.

• clcaruthers
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15321 by clcaruthers
Replied by clcaruthers on topic First time getting this on a rib loin
Well, I guess in the process of rebagging, the rack appears to have punctured my bag somewhere. Being 23 days in, good color, etc., should I rebag it or just leave as is and no longer flip it? Couldn't have a worst series of "firsts" on such a ridiculous and expensive piece of meat.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15322 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First time getting this on a rib loin
Keep your nose in the game! Good luck!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds