First timer & resealed eye of round beef after 3-4 days...am i ok?

• FBSK_1907
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #15361 by FBSK_1907
I covered and massaged the eye of round with the mixture given in Umai recipe. Put it into a vacuum bag and let it rest in my regular fridge.

Well i am quite positve about the start weight because that is more or less the same number with the butchers weigher. Unless something is wrong with my kitchen weigher, calculation is accurate. It started with 1144 gr and now it is 760gr.

Yes i am using kitchen fridge. Since my wife and i are both working, the door stays closed for 10 hours in the morning and 6-7 hours in the evenening. We open the door at least 4-5 times in between.

I am also dry aging ribeye in the same environment. So far it seems quite good after 16 days.
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by FBSK_1907.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #15362 by BagLady
I think part of the problem may be that we've failed to specify that "start weight" is post cure, rather than weight of the fresh meat. As you know, a lot of moisture is lost with the salt cure, but the 35-40% target weight loss should be based on the weight after curing.

Either way, you want to to let that bresaola keep drying for at least another two weeks, I'd say. Beef is reluctant to cure and slow to dry.

Dry aging geek

• FBSK_1907
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #15363 by FBSK_1907
1144 gr is the weight when i put it into Umai bag. I'll do as you say and wait for at least two more weeks. Let's see what happens. Thanks.
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by FBSK_1907.

• FBSK_1907
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #15418 by FBSK_1907
I opened the bag at day 45 with %43 weight loss. Here you can see how it progressed & turned out. We were delighted with the result...

flic.kr/s/aHsmLjVbZC

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds