Smell after trimming

• Oscar54
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15331 by Oscar54
Smell after trimming was created by Oscar54
First time trying the Umai dry bags. I purchased a prime rib on sale have been aging it for about 28 days. I am trimming and have noticed a slight rotten smell and the inner meat does seem a little sticky. Is this normal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15332 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Smell after trimming
Sounds to me like you purchased your “on sale prime rib” from a grocery store sale bin or a butchers’ display case. Dry aged meat from a cryovac bag would not smell rotten nor seem sticky after a mere 28 days.
Ron

• Oscar54
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15333 by Oscar54
Replied by Oscar54 on topic Smell after trimming
I trimmed all the brown parts off and I have red beef, do you think it’s safe? It doesn’t smell that strong.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15334 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Smell after trimming
I can't answer that with a good conscience! As for eating your now trimmed meat I know we all have different tolerances!

Your meat should not have smelled rotten and been sticky when cut. Since this is probably your first dry aging attempt and maybe even your first time eating dry aged meat then I can't know that. Dry aged beef has an earthy, nutty smell and CERTAINLY not a rotten smell! Just the same as I already surmised your "on sale" beef had probably been in the display case long enough that the store or butcher already knew they better put it on sale before it went bad! That's the reason UMAi Dry® recommends buying the meat to be aged still bagged in cryovac. Better luck next time.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar54

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds