• jharlow
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15340 by jharlow
First run with UMAi-- was created by jharlow
Hello,

Starting my first journey with dry aging and just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track as it progresses and make sure there aren't any issues.

Started with a full 7 rib ribeye roast about #20. Was too big for the bags (used ribeye/striploin) so I removed the ribs and broke the meat down into two about 7 pound pieces. After a little learning feel good about seal and contact with the bags. Put in our fridge on a wire rack. The fridge is modern and is our primary fridge--we keep it clean and open and close regularly...

Two questions to start--was it a good idea to remove the bones? I'm going to smoke them and have a good beef treat so they won't go to waste. Second, are we good with the fridge? We actually also just lost our furnace so it's been more like a "garage fridge" for a day with the inside temp being 50, but will be back up to 70 by the end of the day.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15341 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First run with UMAi--
Well, Sir, to be perfectly blunt...you should not have cut out the bones since unless you had the utmost sanitary conditions there is a good chance you have contaminated the surface of the meat. However, if that meat wasn't purchased in a cryovac bag, but instead was purchased out of a grocery or butcher's display case then that meat probably already had surface mold spores.

When you said "bags" I'm hoping you in fact meant plural and used 2 bags and didn't place both pieces in the same bag.

As for the furnace issue your inside temp of 50º should not be an issue for that short of a period.

Keep an eye on the meat and if you see white mold spores starting to develop then those can be wiped off the meat before trimming, but if the meat starts to stink then there may be other issues.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is...
Ron

• jharlow
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15342 by jharlow
Replied by jharlow on topic First run with UMAi--
Thanks for the quick reply. Knowing the risks I did everything I could to create a sanitary environment--other than odor what are the other key indicators I should look for to determine if it's going wrong? Conversely, what would I be seeing to know it's going right?

Thanks again

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15343 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First run with UMAi--
Keep in mind that dry aged meat smells earthy or nutty to most folks. I already mentioned being on the lookout for white mold spores - white is ok within reason, but green are not! How long do you plan to age the meat? With rib eye being thick as it is it can readily go longer like 35 to 45 days or longer. Personally I prefer 45 days for my tastes, but suit yourself!
Ron

• jharlow
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #15344 by jharlow
Replied by jharlow on topic First run with UMAi--
I did put them in 2 separate bags, the first is for my wife's Birthday party, so that'll be capped at 28 days. I'm hoping to be able to get by with that and age the other closer to 45 days....fingers crossed

More
8 months 2 days ago #15374 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic First run with UMAi--
Hello.

I try for first time.
I can get my meat only for a butcher and not with cryobag.what can i do before put the meat into the umai bag to avoid contamination.
I Will leave it for 30 days in abig fridge with air circulation at 2-3 degrees Celsius

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds