First run with UMAi--

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #15376 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First run with UMAi--
Paul,
There's not a lot you can do to prevent contamination in that case that won't in itself risk more chance for contamination! The best I can advise you is to keep an eye out for signs of mold inside the bag on the surface of the meat. Some white mold spores can later be washed off, but green mold spores mean trouble. Also your nose will give you an indication that the meat has started to go bad. Good luck!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jharlow
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #15377 by jharlow
Replied by jharlow on topic First run with UMAi--
FYI--about 2 weeks in, no green mold no funky smell, looking good. Kinda has the yogurty smell which I think I've read is the normal smell? Smell is not my strong suit, but my wife has a very sensitive nose and hasn't complained yet.

Will post pics and update when finished!

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #15378 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First run with UMAi--
Sounds good!
Ron

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #15379 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic First run with UMAi--
Paul,

Do your very best to request that your butcher give you a piece of meat that has not been touched or trimmed, if at all possible.

If you must buy it outside of the processor packaging, when you get home prepare a clean surface with either kitchen parchment or foil. Run tap water over the surface of the meat (after washing your hands thoroughly, of course ). Rest the meat on the prepared surface. This will have rinsed off many potential contaminants, but more importantly, it will provide the moist surface that is critical for good UMAi Dry® membrane bond.

UMAi Dry is not a vacuum bag and requires a very moist meet surface to create a good bond.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds