First time “dry ager” with walk-in fridge

• Stewiman99
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15390 by Stewiman99
Long time reader first time poster.

After reading and watching a number of articles/videos, I have now finally jumped into trying my first dry age. Fingers crossed it all works out.

I have 2 questions that I’m hoping someone can assist with:
(1) the vacuum didn’t work particularly well, although it has created a seal and is currently covering 70%+ of the meat. I assume the vacuum isn’t as important as the seal itself. Is this right?
(2) unfortunately I wasn’t able to fit the meat in my own refrigerator, so have resorted to using my parents’s walk-in fridge. I suspect this is ok, but wouldn’t mind if someone confirms. The temperature is relatively constant (34 - 38) but it’s not used as much as a standard fridge.

Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15391 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic First time “dry ager” with wall-in fridge
Indeed, you should not expect a perfect vacuum with UMAi Dry. If the meat was good and moist, the UMAi Dry membrane will form a good bond with the surface, if you have rested it meat side down, fat cap up on the open wire rack.
The issue with a walk-in is that humidity is not managed well. If the fridge is not in regular use, the fans may not cycle either, meaning the meat will be just sitting, static in the humid environment. Very little drying will occur, and aging will be slow to non-existent if the temps hover below 36 degrees.

Dry aging geek

• Stewiman99
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15392 by Stewiman99
Replied by Stewiman99 on topic First time “dry ager” with walk-in fridge
Thanks for the guidance. The walk-in fridge is fortunately one that cycles relatively often, but I take your point re humidity and the meat just sitting there. it’s probably opened 1-2 a day, but only for short periods.

I might move it back into our fridge and take the wrath of my wife for the lack of space

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds