Bones ripped bag

• Danton
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15394 by Danton
Bones ripped bag was created by Danton
I think bones might have broke the UMAI bag. How serious is that? Should I replace the bag?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15395 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bones ripped bag
Hadn't you protected the bag from the bones like we suggest? How long has the meat been aging? How badly was the bag torn?
Ron

• Danton
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15396 by Danton
Replied by Danton on topic Bones ripped bag
I did not protect the bag from bones. I've put the meat yesterday, and I think the bag lost it's "vacuum", since it seems loose.
How should I protect the bag from bones? How can I check if bag is ok?
I dry aging a large piece (fore ribs and short loin), about 12 kg (28 Lbs).

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15397 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Bones ripped bag
The most important thing is that the meat is good he moist moved from the processor packaging into my drive. Without that moisture, the UMAi Dry® membrane will have nothing to stick to, especially on a bone-in cut.

We recommend you starting dry aging with a boneless cut so you have lots of meat surface. A bone in cut has very little meat for the UMAi Dry® to adhere to. It is not a vacuum bag, but in moisture and oxygen permeable membrane that sticks to the meat surface.

When dry aging bone-in cuts, it is important to transfer them from the processor packaging into UMAi Dry®, prepare a thick strip of padding, either kitchen parchment or several layers of folded damp paper towel. It should just be a very narrow strip to rest over the points of the bone.

To rebag, you should prepare a sterile surface with a sheet of foil or kitchen parchment to rest to meat on. Run tap water over the meat to reactivate the proteins. Rest of the meat on the sterile surface for 4-5 minutes. With gloved hands, transfer Into a new bag.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danton

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds