10 days in, green mold and slight funk smell: what are my options?

• rekked
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15398 by rekked
As I said. Second time aging (first time was a brisket that aged beautifully), first time aging a whole boneless ribeye.

10 days in, fat and some meat parts are starting to show green color and there's a slight funk smell. Should I leave it be for the 21 days, take it out, slice and remove mold or throw it out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15399 by BagLady
Green is never good. Of course it’s impossible for us to tell you whether it’s safe to trim and eat or not.

The only way that green might form withIn 10 days is that the fridge is not holding 34 to 38° temperature, it is not a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment, or the meat was old or contaminated prior to bagging.

Dry aging geek

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15400 by BagLady
Green is never good. Of course it’s impossible for us to tell you whether it’s safe to trim and eat or not.

The only way that green might form withIn 10 days is that the fridge is not holding 34 to 38° temperature, it is not a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment, or the meat was old or contaminated prior to bagging.

Dry aging geek

• rekked
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15401 by rekked
That's sad to hear. I'll stop the experiment and inspect the meat.

The fridge marks 37 degrees, but there was a small pocket of water. Might have been the humidity.

Thanks for your response.

• rekked
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15402 by rekked
Ok, so curiosity and the chance to throw away $200 got the best of me and I caved, so I opened the bag. Funky smell. Got to trimming (VERY generously... if I didn't throw 3 pounds of meat, I'm the queen of England). 5mm of pelicose all around, inspecting for anything that was not a healthy red or smelled too off.

The result is: very red meat, slight funk smell (not unlike the brisket that I aged and to my knowledge no one got sick), most of the green stuff was at the end of the ribeye which is all fat- I know this fat is GOLD for burgers but I'm not going to risk saving this batch of fat.

I cut the ribeye into steaks, I'm cooking one tonight and taking one for the team. The rest went straight into the freezer. To be honest, the steak smells fantastic, not unlike professionally aged steaks. If I get the slightest hint of bad meat, I'm throwing everything away.

Wish me luck.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15403 by BagLady
What a terrific outcome! We were so disappointed to have to deliver bad news earlier. It looks like you rescued it.

Next time, we recommend double checking that you’re using regular used fridge that’s indoors and then regular use. If your milk stays freshifor a week, the temp should be OK.

Dry aging geek

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds