What are my options after aging and trimming the ribeye primal?

• CJD
  • CJD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 1 day ago #15420 by CJD
February 16th will be 30 days in the bag. Things are looking great and I’m contemplating going out to 42 days. First time at this, so its all a shot in the dark. I see people aging for 30+ days. But my questions are really around what to do after I trim them up?
  1. Cooking options? Does the meat need to be treated differently due to moisture loss? I have Sous Vide, gas grill, pellet smoker, and CI Pan all at my disposal.
  2. Storage options? Once I trim and cut, how long can I keep them in the fridge? Do I dare freeze them?
Thanks in advance!

/Clayton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dil950
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 1 day ago #15422 by Dil950
I haven't actually timed it to verify if this is true but i've noticed dry aged meat tends to cook faster. So on a normal steak I may sous vide it to 130 and sear it..I drop the temp on dry aged meat a few degrees to make sure I don't over cook it on the sear.

You can freeze it...I think it freezes better since there's reduced moisture in the meat. Like most things, vacuum packed will freeze better.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 1 day ago #15423 by RRP
My suggestion is go for the 42 or 45! A ribeye sub primal is thick and 30 days isn’t enough. Yes, dry aged meat cooks much faster...but please take this suggestion regardless of how you are cooking/grilling your steaks...cook to temperature and NEVER to time! And yes...over cooking steals ruins them!

Freezing your dry aged steaks are best saved in Food Saver vacuumed bags!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: CJD

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds