First time using. 30 days in, some red spots forming. Ok?

• eksaint
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15428 by eksaint
Bag was definitely 90%+ in contact with meat. I assume when I cut this open it would be gag level nasty if something went wrong? Has a slight smell but not nasty.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1SuF6jnycx9ygjdY6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15430 by BagLady
You can sniff the surface of the meat. No need to open it to check. Yes, the "forest-y blue cheese funk" is not roses, but your nose will detect the difference between that and downright rotten meat.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: eksaint

• eksaint
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15432 by eksaint
Thanks for the reply. Definitely doesn’t smell rotten. The red spot look a bit strange though. Looks like I don’t really know how to embed a picture in a forum any more! Were you able to see it? Here is a link to a reddit post I did with the picture: www.reddit.com/r/steak/comments/f3hx7j/a...e&utm_medium=ios_app

Thanks so much for your help! Really looking forward to opening this tomorrow and really really hoping it’s ok...

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15433 by BagLady
The Reddit post photo actually shows something we've never seen before. Oddly pink, with everything else darkening just fine. The hole in the fat around which the discoloration has happened suggests that the knife may have had some sanitizing solution on it, which has affected the micro bacterial balance on the surface of the meat in that area. Keep any eye for odor, texture and further color changes. How much longer are you planning to age? Chances are, you will simply want to trim that area down to our red meat, like the rest of your trim. Please let us know what you discover.
Another really good source of crowd shared expertise is the closed Facebook UMAi® Salami, Charcuterie and Dry Aged Steak group: www.facebook.com/groups/666563176776694/

Dry aging geek

• eksaint
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15437 by eksaint
I was planning on cutting up today. So the suggestion is cutting out that area, correct? And the rest should be fine to eat as long as everything smells all right? Besides that "forest-y blue cheese funk"!
I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds