First timer question.

• tbadinghaus
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #15618 by tbadinghaus
First timer question. was created by tbadinghaus
I ordered my first set of bags to start my adventure into dry aging, these are supposed to show up on Saturday. Anyway, my local Fresh Market I shop at for meat had a special on Strips this week so I went and bought 10lbs yesterday. When the Butcher showed me the piece of meat I asked if it could be halved and he advised yes. He went in the back and cut thru the Plastic then brought my piece of meat to the scale and weighed it. The only side exposed was where he cut, the rest still is in the sealed plastic. He wrapped it up and I brought this home. Then upon reading yesterday I noted that you should use a fully sealed piece of meat due to the contamination that could be introduced when the butcher cut this.

My question is should I forego using this piece of $95 grass fed strips and buy a whole one that is sealed? Or could I simply cut off a steak from the end they touched then use the leftovers to dry age? I can't be the first "Newbie" to make this mistake so I thought I would throw it out there for help. Please let me know, I was hooping to get this done this weekend. Thanks!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #15621 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First timer question.
If you trust that butcher shop to be reasonably sanitary I would go ahead and age them - but since they are now in 2 pieces it is best that you use 2 separate bags. Happy aging!
Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds