Vacuum seal steak smells bad? Need help

• bill.chy
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #15689 by bill.chy
Vacuum seal steak smells bad? Need help was created by bill.chy
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to dry aging and I just finished my first dry age ribeye (boneless) and it turned out really nice. However, I went to the local butchers today and bought a bone-in USDA choice ribeye for dry aging. As soon as I opened the bag, I was hit in the face with this strong odor that kind of makes your face turn. I assume it was wet-aged, and when I called them they said it would go away a few minutes after opening the bag. However, I cut a steak off it and grilled it a few hours later and the odor lingered in the steak after cooking it (was unpleasant). I setup the steak in the umai dry bag and the whole fridge smells strongly of that unpleasant smell. Should I still go through with it? Was there anything I could have done to remove that odor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 4 days ago #15690 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Vacuum seal steak smells bad? Need help
The meat was BAD! Sometimes when meat first comes out of cryovac packaging it can have an "off odor", but your grilled steak confirmed it was bad! My suggestion is get that meat out of the refrigerator and out of that now wasted UMAi Dry bag PRONTO and get that meat back to the butcher shop and DEMAND A FULL REFUND OR REPLACEMENT!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: bill.chy

• bill.chy
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #15691 by bill.chy
Replied by bill.chy on topic Vacuum seal steak smells bad? Need help
Hey Ron, I read online about some steaks having an odor once you open the bag and wasn't sure if that was the case, but the odor was quite extreme. Thanks a lot for your input, I'll refund the steak first thing tomorrow morning.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds