• Mawk1
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15703 by Mawk1
Dry Aging Ribeye Issue? was created by Mawk1
Would love some advice here

This is my first time dry aging Ribeye in a bag and I’m 3 weeks in and noticed something weird. Here’s my setup.

I’ve got the sealed bag sitting on top of a baking cooling rack over top of a baking sheet. And based on some advice I read I laid a bed of salt in the baking sheet underneath the bag. I did this once before with NY Strip last time and it worked great.

This time though a layer of water has accumulated in the baking sheet. It’s pure clean (now salty) water. Nothing meat related. I checked the bag for rips and it’s totally fine.

I thought maybe there was a spill so I removed the water and put down a new layer of salt, and today I noticed there’s a thin layer of water forming, again pure water. There’s a thin layer of moisture on the bottom of the bag facing the salt and the top is perfectly dry.

Is the salt drawing water straight out of the steak or do I have an issue? Does Ribeye have more liquid than a Striplion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15704 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Dry Aging Ribeye Issue?
There are so many things that you did wrong! Basically and SIMPLY when you use a UMAi Dry bag you do not want to use "all these other ideas" you find on the internet! PERIOD! No salt, no cookie sheet etc etc!

You just want to bag the meat, place it at the BOTTOM of a frequently used modern frost free refrigerator in your home - NOT an old beer frighted in the garage or basement nor a wine cooler nor a tiny dormitory refrig.
Ron

• Mawk1
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15705 by Mawk1
Replied by Mawk1 on topic Dry Aging Ribeye Issue?
Hi Ron,

It’s not in a beer fridge. It’s in a proper temp controlled, high quality fridge. Thanks for the help.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds