New Dry Ager

• Eastman104
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15723 by Eastman104
New Dry Ager was created by Eastman104
I have read a number of these forums and see Ron Pratt is the man. Thanks for all your input. Couple questions.

I have my meat in an UMAi bag sitting on a rack in a walk in cooler at the school I work for. Reading many comments, I am wondering if that is the best place for it. Should I move it to my home refrigerator?

Is there anything I should be looking for to tell me if the meat is not aging but rotting in the bag? I can't smell anything through the bag which I believe is normal. The meat looks good so far but there is some worrisome coloration in the fat.

Please let me know if there is any other info you need to assist.

Thanks Ron, and any others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #15725 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic New Dry Ager
First of all - not knowing anything about that walk in cooler BUT I would seriously doubt that it does anything but keep things cold! You need to move your meat PRONTO to a modern frost free refrigerator and place it on a bottom shelf on a wire rack. As meat dry ages it is releasing the water content and unless that water is removed from the air then the risk of rotting meat is quite probable! As for telling your nose is the best indication if something is wrong. As for the fat dis-colorization that is normal!
Ron
Last edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by RRP.

• Eastman104
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15727 by Eastman104
Replied by Eastman104 on topic New Dry Ager
Thanks Ron for your prompt feedback.
Is it ok to open the bag to smell it then close it right back up if its good? It has been there 14 days. If it is starting to spoil I believe I can salvage most of it but if it is good I'd like to keep going.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15729 by RRP
You could open the bag, but most likely you'll never be able to seal it properly again and transferring to yet a new UMAi Dry bag would not be a good idea. As for smell you really should be able to smell it even sealed in the "breathing" UMAi bag. If the meat has gone bad you would probably have already noticed it when you open the refrigerator door!
Ron

• Eastman104
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15731 by Eastman104
Replied by Eastman104 on topic New Dry Ager
Excellent! Thank you for your input. Please let me know if you have ever done a "all you need to know about dry aging" Video or book. I'd snap it up in a second. You're the man!

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #15733 by RRP
LOL - no video or book, but I do believe there is a project under development to compile more Q & A of the most frequently asked questions.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds