Vacuum Seal Is Fine But Meat and Bag Not Bonding

• IRP
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 22 hours ago #15745 by IRP
The vacuum seal looks fine because of the side of the bags where there is no meat has zero air, but the bag and meat are not bonding. I am 15 days in. Pictures below.

www.flickr.com/photos/189037906@N03/shares/ZC8p7U

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189037906@N03/shares/ZC8p7U

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 months 21 hours ago #15748 by RRP
That is loose, but about all you can do is cut a small hole in one corner, insert a straw or tubing and suck out the trapped air. Then seal the hole with packaging tape.
Ron

• IRP
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 21 hours ago #15749 by IRP
Is this not going to age correctly. Should I simply just stop and cut it up now? I would hate to get to 45 days and it is rotten.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 months 21 hours ago #15750 by RRP
Suit yourself - it's your meat! Just because the bag hasn't adhered that doesn't mean the meat is rotting! "Let your nose be your guide" is my motto!
Ron

• IRP
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 21 hours ago #15751 by IRP
Thanks Ron for your help. Unfortunately I don't know what proper aged meat is suppose to smell like but I assume if it starts to smell like a dead animal then I am in trouble. I took tape and butcher twine and wrapped the bag so it makes better contact with the meat. Hopefully that does the trick. I am sure I must have done something wrong when I bagged it.

Another quick question. I plan to cook it as a primerib. Because the bone side will probably have pellicle on it that will be hard to remove, should I remove the bones before smoking or can I keep them on?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 months 20 hours ago #15752 by RRP
First...dry aged beef has what most people call an earthy or nutty smell. To others it smells a bit like bleu cheese.

Just so you know using a bone in ribeye then the meat next to the bone will not be as dry as the meat side where the release of moisture wasn't hampered.

No need to worry about trying to remove the small amount of pellicle on the bone - just leave it.

And lastly keep in mind that dry aged beef cooks much faster so definitely cook to temperature and not to time!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds