First time dry aging a 13 pound ribeye, is this normal?

• Samuel Sun
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 6 days ago #15776 by Samuel Sun
This is my first dry-age attempt on any meat, I bagged the ribeye 4 days ago and I transferred the meat directly from its original wrapping as per instruction, I tried my best to lose the juices as much as possible in the original wrapping. When I check the bag today, I noticed that quite a lot of juices has formed in the bag as in the picture here link:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Vz2m4DqfP_jaqA0LWib31v90-DteEdP/view?usp=sharing

I'm using a refrigerator similar to this one:https://www.hitachi.com.au/products/product-categories/home-appliances/refrigerator/made-in-japan/rg670gax.html

it has two separate refrigerator compartments (one is the normal one and the other one is called vegetable compartment), since day 1 I'm keeping the meat in the vegetable compartment and now I have transferred it to the normal refrigerator compartment.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I get the juices out and bag it again or just leave it as it is?

Appreciate the guidance, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 6 days ago #15779 by RRP
You were correct getting it out of that veggie bin! Now as for that corner of moisture I would merely cut a small hole in the bag and drain it out and then seal it over with a good brand of packaging tape such as what 3M sells. You should be fine!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Samuel Sun

• Samuel Sun
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 6 days ago #15780 by Samuel Sun
Thank you, Ron! I've drained it sealed it again, hope I get a good result.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 6 days ago #15781 by BagLady
Good to know Ron's advice helped. Sounds like the meat was likely not fully thawed when you bagged it up. In an a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment, the rate of evaporation through the UMAi Dry® should allow for a secure bond within about 7-10 days. If the meat is not completely thaw when bagging, the rapid release of moisture from the meat will cause pooling moisture for about two weeks. Again, you must be using a full sized frost free fridge with just one big hunk of meat to expect this pace of moisture uptake.
Hope this helps.

Dry aging geek

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds