Just started ageing, how do I know if meat is going bad

• chester0359
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15800 by chester0359
I have been ageing a ribeye without the bone for 4 days now. Most of it looks ok like a dark reddish brown but one side is blackish and the fat has a tint of green. The smell isn’t the greatest either, something like the smell after opening a piece of meat after it has already been in the fridge for a week.
How can I know if it’s still ok or not?
Thank you for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15801 by RRP
Just 4 days into it and with all you describe my educated guess is that meat was rotting when you bought it! There's no way it has taken on all those characteristics in that short of time. Where did you buy the meat? Was it in a meat display case?
Ron

• chester0359
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15802 by chester0359
Thank you for your assistance. It’s actually 2 pieces of rib eye, 1 from a display case and 1 from a frozen ribeye roast that I defrosted.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15803 by RRP
No telling how long either of those pieces had been in a display case, even though one was a piece you already had. That is why we always recommend dry aging a sub-primal purchased in a sealed cryovac bag and then transferred to the UMAi Dry® bag using the clean transfer method. Also you should NEVER place 2 pieces of meat in one bag as the hidden butt ends or sides depending on how you placed them in the bag are ripe for ruining the meat.

At this point your best best is to open the bag, smell it closely and either consume or pitch it, but my guess it is already rancid.
Ron

• chester0359
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15804 by chester0359
Where I live we don’t have sub primal etc. I was lucky to even get a piece of fresh ribeye.
Anyway I opened the bag and removed both pieces, they smell fine, I am thinking of maybe trying to continue the ageing process (I made sure everything was clean when removing the meat etc.) as I really don’t have opportunities to get ahold of a whole ribeye. I will keep a close eye on it and try to be in touch with you with any further developments and advice seeking.
Thanx a million and I wish you all the best.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds