22 days removed half and re-sealed - pleasantly surprised

• agdowlin
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #15838 by agdowlin
I just could not wait!!

After 22 days of dry aging a rib rack I peeled half of the bag back, cleaned a sharp knife with alcohol, removed half the rack, and sealed the bag back up. I know this is not recommended but I took the risk anyways. I was very careful. 3 days later it looks like its sticking to the side that was cut ok. Everything seems normal.

The flavor is amazing. After just 22 days the taste has improved a lot. Also I see a lot of people cut off the outside layer after dry aging and throw it out. I did cut the outside layer off and was ready to throw it out when i decided to just fry some and try it.... I never should have cut it off. It's delicious and i would be happy to have it on the outside edge of my steaks.

What i did was take the bones and outside layer and made an Asian style hot and sour noodle soup with it. OMG.. so umami!!

I can't wait to see what 45 days will be like but I can say for sure a 22 day cure is enough to improve flavor and still have NO WASTE!!

I'll update at 45 days or if i have bacteria / mold problems, what ever comes first.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #15839 by BagLady
Very interesting experimentS. Please share what you find in another 22 days.

Dry aging geek

• agdowlin
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 21 hours ago #15886 by agdowlin
I opened the bag back up at 37 days because i was going out of town and would miss the 45 day mark. There was no mold or anything. The meat looked and smelled good. The dry age flavor was much stronger and i think the meat was softer too. I made another soup with the dried pelicle and it was great again. I cant believe everyone throws it away... u could at least feed it to your dog...

• agdowlin
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 21 hours ago #15887 by agdowlin
Next time i will buy another primal cut and just prep my fillet knife and the outside of the bag will lots of 99% alcohol and cut it right in half first. Then a quick fransfer into 2 bags. That way i can compare 35 and 45 days for the next round. Im confident i wont mess it up as long as i have someone to help and everything is CLEAN.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds