After a few days it looks like the tightness of the bag on one side looks loose

• Josephmichael
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #15906 by Josephmichael
Hi I am a first time dry ager using the UMAi bags. I had some struggles with the first two bags and finally managed to get the third and final bag to work after a couple of tries. I set it into the fridge and after a few days I’ve seen that one side came loose from the side of the meat, not necessarily that air is in the bag cuz everywhere else has great contact and color is beginning to change it’s just one side that the plastic isn’t really touching the meat I have pictures but I’m not sure how to post it. I’m on day three everything smells fine just I’m worried that one side isn’t on. I’ve tried folding the extra plastic under the meat to make it touch more but it hasn’t really done much, and I also don’t have anymore bags. Any suggestions from the professionals will help to ease this anxiety

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josephmichael
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #15907 by Josephmichael
I also think I got images working www.flickr.com/photos/190210407@N07/ ?
Lmk if that works

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 2 days ago #15908 by BagLady
Please keep in mind: UMAi Dry NOT a vacuum bag. It allows for both moisture and oxygen exchange. Air pockets post zero risk. Toss out any expectations that it should behave like a vacuum bag.
Also, because the UMAi Dry membrane takes up the gooey moisture coating on the meat, it relaxes, and always looks a little loose a day or two after bagging.
Untuck that extra plastic from under the meat. It will block air flow.
UMAi Dry is designed to be a single layer protective membrane. With good air flow to all surfaces, aging in a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment, you are ensured consistent, safe dry aging. .

Dry aging geek

• Josephmichael
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #15909 by Josephmichael
Did you inspect the images? Does everything look okay? There is also space between the bones and the bag. Also the side that the bag isn’t touching does look like it’s forming the crust like the other sides are

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 2 days ago #15910 by RRP
I see you are trying to age a bone in piece of meat. Notice how SHARP those bone corners are? Those SHARP corners would even cut through a tough plastic bag - BUT a "tough plastic bag" which UMAi Dry® is NOT. Sorry you didn't read the advice about protecting those sharp edges. At this point I wouldn't waste any more UMAi Dry® bags even if I had 100 of them! I'd suggest planning a nice meal very soon with that meat, as it won't be dry aging with the punctures. Next time if you still want to age a bone in then cover the bone. But OTOH aging a bone-LESS sub-primal produces MUCH better results since the bone-in GREATLY restricts the water loss from the meat which dry aging means.
Ron

• Josephmichael
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #15911 by Josephmichael
Hey Ron thanks for the reply, I’ve inspected the bag many times especially around the bone area, and even tried pushing the air around to see if there was any holes to see if the air would come out, but I don’t see any. All the other parts have contact with the bag besides that one side is loose, are you sure I should abort the dry age?

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds