Going bad

• Greenballs
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15965 by Greenballs
Going bad was created by Greenballs
I am currently running at over 50% of the meat just going bad. I do not understand why. It is becoming very expensive! I take the meat. Insert in bags seal with vacuum sealer leaving the small corner for the pad. Then place in fridge. Have bagged 4 sets of fore ribs. Every time went off after ten days. Ribeye joints. Two out of five went off. Sirloin was fine. Brisket two out of two went off. Topside two out of six went off. Each time the bags in contact with well over 80% of joint. Fridge fully working.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 4 days ago - 3 weeks 4 days ago #15966 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Going bad
First of all let's start with what you mean as going bad.

Secondly, you say "went off after ten day" - what do you mean - you lost the vacuum? A perfect seal is not needed!

Thirdly, when you say the fridge fully working then at what temperature? We recommend ONLY using a modern, frost free refrigerator located in a living area (i.e. not a garage or a basement) which is opened and closed on a daily basis. So is it?
Ron
Last edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by RRP.

• Greenballs
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15968 by Greenballs
Replied by Greenballs on topic Going bad
Hi.

The meant went off. As in started to go a different grey colour. It smelled bad. I cook a huge amount so I know when meat is turning!

I am aware that seal needs only be 70%. It was covered by 80%

The fridge in second kitchen. It’s a new fridge. Not opened a lot. The meat was basically going off not wind drying.

Can’t understand it.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15970 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Going bad
Let's get back to my original questions...what temperature is that refrigerator maintaining? It should be between 34º and 38º. When you say it is turning grey I'm suspect that is PART of the problem.

Also you say it is a new refrigerator, but is it a full refrigerator that is frost free and not a little dormitory size nor a wine refrigerator. The term "new" doesn't mean much if the thing isn't wicking off the moisture as the meat dries.

Another thing I am no questioning is if some of the meat has been good, but not others then what is your source of meat? Are you buying it from a "butcher's meat display case" and not still sealed in cryovac?

In your initial post you use the term "Have bagged 4 sets of fore ribs" - does that mean you purchased a full sub-primal and cut it yourself into 4 bone sections? If so then that meant a good chance that you - unknowingly - contaminated the meat adding bacteria before bagging them!

And I have to ask if you left the bone in did you take precautions to protect the bag from the bone edges which can easily puncture the bag.
Ron

• Greenballs
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15972 by Greenballs
Hi. Yes fridge set at 35. It is a brand new full size fridge. I get my meat from a top quality butcher. Here in Malta for beef alone I can buy Italian Fiorantina, French Charolais, Scottish Aberdeen Angus, Irish Grass Fed, Polish, Argentinian, USDA, Japanese Wagyu, Australian.

I buy for Eventual sous vide cooking so always in cryovac The ribs came sealed six ribs per pack. I never cut the meat before I reseal out of cryovac into your bags. Bones are not exposed like in say a tomahawk

• Greenballs
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #15973 by Greenballs
In the fridge does it have to rest on a grill type shelf or on a flat bottom

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds