Question re Dry Ageing Bone in Rib Eye from butcher

• SARBS
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16024 by SARBS
Hi there,

This is my first time trying the Umai bags for dry ageing. I purchased some bone in rib eye from a butcher. Most of the videos show using the cryovac meat and talk about the importance of the moist meat proteins. My meat was pretty dry (straight out of the butchers cooler and cut down from a primal set of 7 ribs) so i wanted to know if this will be an issue for me ?

cheers
Steve
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16025 by RRP
Steve - to be painfully blunt the answer is between probably and yes. At this point the best you can do is attempt to moisten the meat with bottled water before inserting in the UMAi Dry® bag. Also since you close a bone in be sure to protect the bag from the edges of the bones.
Ron
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16029 by BagLady
Steve,
The other big reason we discourage dry aging butcher handled meat is that it may have been jaccarded, or blade tenderized. This puncturing of the muscle essentially injects it with bacteria, and requires it be cooked within days. Jaccarded meat is never suitable for dry aging.
Even Costco will often jacquard trayed beef, after trimming it of all the fat and bits you want to preserve when dry aging.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: SARBS
  • SARBS
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16042 by SARBS
cheers for the reply Ron.

Based on your reply I went and got a nice big cryovac scotch roll. I'm giving that a go instead... looking forward to the results.

Steve
Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds