Losing Vacuum

• MotiV
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #16067 by MotiV
Losing Vacuum was created by MotiV
Hey Folks, please help the newbie here. It is my first time using the Umai bag.

I've bagged the boneless ribeye rack yesterday and it looked pretty good. Today I could see that there is much more air in the bag. Being a newbie I've added a seal this morning only later realizing that I've probably made things worse as I've disturbed the bonding with the bag especially on the bottom meat part. The fat cap is still looks decent but the bag does not have a great contact on the bottom/sides. What would you suggest? Should I rebag or leave it alone? If rebag should I make the meat a bit wet to form a better bond?

Thanks!
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #16068 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Losing Vacuum
Please DO NOT re-bag it!!! As we advise in the Q&A here:

WHAT IF I NOTICE THAT THE VACUUM HAS BEEN LOST?

UMAi Dry® is not a vacuum bag, and is significantly more oxygen permeable. Ensure that you have the meat resting meat side down, fat cap up on the open wire rack. If you have not achieved a perfect vacuum, particularly if you have some small amount of air in the corners of the bag or in the divots when the bones have been cut from a ribeye, for instance, never fear. You will have good, consistent dry aging results with only 70 to 80% of the meat surface bonded.

However, if you notice within the first day or two that more than 25 to 30% of the meat has not maintained contact with the UMAi Dry® material, you should repeat the application with the vacuum sealer, ensuring the surface of the meat is moist to achieve the bond.

Ron
  • MotiV
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #16071 by MotiV
Replied by MotiV on topic Losing Vacuum
Thank you Ron for the quick reply. I've attached two photos of the top and side. You can see that on the sides the bag is not sticking to the meat very well.

Do you think it is still ok to proceed with the current bag?

If need to rebag, do you suggest that I simply rab a bit of water to the meat so that the bag will fit?

Much appreciate the help!

photos.app.goo.gl/mtKk14nrpEPrbvTU9
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #16072 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Losing Vacuum
You'll be fine! Now relax!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: MotiV
Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds