Only top of brisket dry aged?

• DoggieDeuce
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #16107 by DoggieDeuce
Only top of brisket dry aged? was created by DoggieDeuce
Top of my brisket looked beautiful with a proper pellicle, but the bottom had insufficient airflow and did not form a pellicle. It is a full packer brisket aged for about 40 days.

Once opened it smelled like it wanted to be dry-aged but wasn't quite there. Like, it was half way. The mild cheese-like smell was present, but not as strong. Honestly, it smelled ok but missing some of the earthier smells that I'm used to when opening a bag. It didn't necessarily smell good, but then again didn't smell rancid either.

The bottom looked like a piece of meat that had not been aged and was moist to the touch. I trimmed it up into a flat and point, but I didn't get the bright red effect I was anticipating on the flat. This breaks my heart, but I might toss it.

My best guess is the pan was too small for this size of packer brisket, and the rack wasn't high enough over the rim of the sheet pan. This created an air pocket surrounding the bottom of the flat which in turn prevented air flow and proper aging.

In retrospect I should have rotated the meat every so often or had a better airflow rig.

Thoughts on consumption?
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #16108 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Only top of brisket dry aged?
You answered your own question! Laying that meat on a flat pan was a major MAJOR mistake! You should use a wire rack with space underneath it as well to allow the air to circulate. While you could have rotated it during the aging my recommendation is not to handle the meat! You risk tearing the bag with each handling.

Also you said you didn't get back to "bright red". Why age meat if you are going to just trim back to "grocery store red"? You are wasting all the good aged meat!

As for consuming that brisket - it's your call.
Ron
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #16109 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Only top of brisket dry aged?
For successful dry aging, you need to have clear airflow to the entire surface of the meat throughout the aging process. If anything blocks the air, the risk of spoilage increases significantly.

It certainly sounds like this brisket needed to be turned at least once, and probably there needed to be open airflow to the entire surface top, bottom, sides.

Obviously, we cannot gauge the safety of this piece of me. You need to trust your nose.

Dry aging geek
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoggieDeuce
  • DoggieDeuce
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #16110 by DoggieDeuce
Replied by DoggieDeuce on topic Only top of brisket dry aged?
There was a small rack in the bottom of the sheet pan. I really thought it was going to provide enough air flow, but the rack was no match for the massiveness of the packer brisket.

I believe there was a near solid air pocket created by the brisket and the lip on the sheet pan. Kind of a bummer...live and learn...

Went out and bought a more substantially sized rack so as not to repeat this with my ribeye currently in the fridge.
Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds