Boston Butt - Your Next!

More
8 years 8 months ago #1875 by toasty
Replied by toasty on topic Re:Boston Butt - Your Next!
RRP wrote:

Barry-

Just so happens that last night I pulled a pork butt off my BGE that I had smoked low and slow for 21 hours - it started out at 7.5 pounds and turned out GREAT! Now for a question...I have never heard of aging a pork butt let alone aging pork at all! You care to tell us more? Thanks!

Ron

I've thought about doing pork, as well, but more the loin than the butt. (other topic for another posting).

When I started dry-aging again, I became interested in the pork-side aspects, which led me to this website: Compart Duroc Dry Aged Pork

They are offering the pork equivalent of ribeye and porterhouse chops and it got me thinking that this is worth an experiment, especially after I've got a stock of dry-aged beef in the freezer for steak night and I don't need to be filling the fridge totally with beef.

There are people who say that dry-aging pork doesn't make much difference, but clearly the Compart Duroc Johnnies think ... well, they think that people will pay for it. Cynical me, that's not the same thing as saying that they think it makes a difference.

I'm going to try dry-aging pork.

But I don't know how to get a pork "sub-primal". I would appreciate any advice you have on sources.

And I don't know if I should do a Boston Butt (shoulder) or the pork equivalent of a ribeye. Maybe I should try to do a 1/2-size version of each to compare. They can share one shelf on the fridge. They can get to know each other. They can be friends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• barry593
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1881 by barry593
Replied by barry593 on topic Re:Boston Butt - Your Next!
Hi toasty,
So far the the best place I have found to buy fresh pork primals is Whole Foods. They can be pricey in general but have given me reasonable prices on primals. For example they charge $23.99Lb for aged NY strip, $16.99Lb for regular NY strip, but an untrimmed whole NY strip was $10.59Lb. All choice cuts.

Barry
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by barry593.

More
8 years 8 months ago #1882 by toasty
barry593 wrote:

Hi toasty,
So far the the best place I have found to buy fresh pork primals is Whole Foods. They can be pricey in general but have given me reasonable prices on primals. For example they charge $23.99Lb for aged NY strip, $16.99Lb for regular NY strip, but an untrimmed whole NY strip was $10.59Lb. All choice cuts.

Barry

Thank you! I'll call the store and see what they've got.

• Clam Digger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Farmer, Musician, Cold Beer Judge, and Family Man!
More
8 years 8 months ago #1905 by Clam Digger
Replied by Clam Digger on topic Re:Boston Butt - Your Next!
This is an interesting idea for aging. I am anxious to hear your results with the pork.

Charlie B)

More
8 years 8 months ago #1910 by toasty
Clam Digger wrote:

This is an interesting idea for aging. I am anxious to hear your results with the pork.

Charlie B)

As Han Solo said, "Well, that's the trick, isn't it?"

First, I've got to shop around and see what's available in terms of sub-primals. Call it a week, and I sent some E-mails to stores on Sunday. Then 30 days in the cooler for a first experiment. So, we're talking Valentine's day as an early boundary for results. And I'll be honest - I'm more likely to serve a known-quantity aged strip loin than an experimental aged pork sub-primal. So, probably expect first results in the range of Feb 17 - 25.

Don't be too anxious.

• Clam Digger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Farmer, Musician, Cold Beer Judge, and Family Man!
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1951 by Clam Digger
Replied by Clam Digger on topic Re:Boston Butt - Your Next!
Barry, I like the idea of aging a Boston butt. Hope it works out well! Have you had a chance to bag one yet?
B)
Charlie
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Clam Digger.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds