Buying Primal Cuts...Be Aware Of Pricing...

• barry593
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #1883 by barry593
Hello everyone,
Please be certain that when purchasing a primal cut of meat that you are paying the "untrimmed" price for that primal. I've had a couple of smaller butcher shops try to charge the regular display price they charge for trimmed steaks/roasts and the difference is substantial...example...Whole Foods choice NY strip at $16.99Lb.display price for trimmed steaks compared to $10.59Lb for a whole NY strip. They carry aged NY strips also at $23.99Lb so dry-bag aging at home is more than worth it, not to mention all the extra flavor and tenderness, but please be aware of pricing!

Barry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 6 months ago #1884 by RRP
Yes - buyer beware! This might be a good time to bring up the same subject but from a different angle. For instance you quoted Whole Foods, others here swear by CostCo - neither of which I have in my market. I do have a SAMS though and more often than not I buy my choice sub-primals there because they will have a dozen or more in the case to choose from. I go when they aren't so busy and go through the whole pile and I'm getting pretty good at reading the degree of marbling on both ends. :laugh:

More
8 years 6 months ago #1896 by toasty
RRP wrote:

Yes - buyer beware! This might be a good time to bring up the same subject but from a different angle. For instance you quoted Whole Foods, others here swear by CostCo - neither of which I have in my market. I do have a SAMS though and more often than not I buy my choice sub-primals there because they will have a dozen or more in the case to choose from. I go when they aren't so busy and go through the whole pile and I'm getting pretty good at reading the degree of marbling on both ends. :laugh:

Does your Sam's Club offer sirloin sub-primals? Mine only presents strip loin, tenderloin, brisket, and ribeye. I've contacted Sam's to see if sirloin is available.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 6 months ago #1899 by RRP
I have looked for but have never seen a sub-primal sirloin there. It seems like when I have tried to ask questions of the folks behind the meat counter/cutting room I always get the "gosh I don't have a clue" look or a 20 word reply that tells me I know THEY don't have a clue! :laugh:

• Clam Digger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Farmer, Musician, Cold Beer Judge, and Family Man!
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1907 by Clam Digger
Replied by Clam Digger on topic Re:Buying Primal Cuts...Be Aware Of Pricing...
Restaurant Depot is also a good place for meat.

Charlie B)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Clam Digger.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds