oh the anticipation!!!

• RRP
  • RRP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
9 years 1 month ago #197 by RRP
oh the anticipation!!! was created by RRP
Having now aged 5 sub-primals I'm getting my freezer stocked with some great meals to come. For instance I'm thawing this 1.75 pound boneless prime rib for tomorrow night's supper. Besides the obvious marbling this one came from a primal aged 35 days. Anticipation is good, but sitting down to eat this will be a delight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kinder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #198 by kinder
Replied by kinder on topic oh the anticipation!!!
Me too, I have this piece of rib eye......19 days so far, wanna try it so bad
Attachments:

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
9 years 1 month ago #199 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic oh the anticipation!!!
Be patient, grasshopper! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
9 years 1 month ago #200 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic oh the anticipation!!!
The anticipation was worth it!

Just to recap...I started with this 1.75 pound prime rib that was a part of a sub-primal that I aged for 35 days.

After 1 hour and 10 minutes in a 100+° hot tub I hit it with coarse kosher salt plus rubbed it with a homemade concoction that we love. Obviously by the color you can see it has dry mustard as one of the ingredients.

I chose a reverse sear method roasting it indirect at 330° for about 35 minutes until it reached and internal temp of 129°. At that point I removed it and foiled it while getting my Big Green Egg up to a RIP roaring 700°. I seared it for 30 seconds per each of the 4 sides. That produced this result.

Then came the time to slice it open. I was quite pleased to find this:

Here was one piece plated and covered with my own recipe of au jus, which I will post under the recipe section here later.

I'm here to tell you that was as delicious of a prime rib as I've ever had. Even my petite wife finished most of hers!

• kinder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #202 by kinder
Man, does that look tasty. It reminds me of the cuts we get at our favorite Brazilian BBQ restaurant Gaucho. Thanks RRP, now Im hungry

• kinder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #203 by kinder
Ok, I think I might have a problem. I took my piece of rib eye out to have a look at it gently, and noticed there is a spot, fairly big, that didnt make a very good bond with the surface (Im thinking maybe 1/4 of the whole piece. Now everywhere its making a good bond, the meat has darkened nicely, by where it didnt, it still looks redish like when I first put it in the fridge, now what do I do at this point. Do I open it, and see what kind of smell I get, or consider it toast, or leave it alone........HELP

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds