Leftovers in the fridge.

• toasty
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #2021 by toasty
Leftovers in the fridge. was created by toasty
Dry-aging beef for 30-or-so days is causing me to question the conventional wisdom on leftovers in the fridge.

I think the conventional wisdom is "three and out" for leftovers.

I think there is a huge schism for vacuum sealers. Much of the hype for using a vacuum sealer points to the idea that food that is vacuum-sealed will last longer than food that isn't. And the hype for sous-vide is that a person can cook the food, then quick-chill, and save it for a later date. And yet, it seems that all the sous vide cookbooks say "hold for a maximum of three days in the fridge."

Three days is three days. No win for vacuum saving. But that's not the point of this posting.

I'm holding meat products (beef, pork, deer, duck) for up to and past 30 days. The conventional wisdom of "three and out" doesn't seem to hold. Is this only for dry-bagging meat, and not for other kinds of leftovers?

Granted, we usually (not for the duck prosciutto, but that's salt-cured) cook the meat product before eating. But a rare steak is not really cooked. So we might be eating a product that's been aged for 30 days and NEVER fully cooked. I guess I'm challenging the conventional "three and out" guideline for leftovers.

Why is leftover food good for three days, and yet raw beef can age for 30?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 6 months ago #2023 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Re:Leftovers in the fridge.
toasty - as I recall you are the professional health inspector here so I assume that means you are applying "restaurant criteria" to make this evaluation. Personally I had never heard of the 3 day and out rule of thumb. I know I sure don't observe it. Many of my noon meals are what I call "make aheads" vs. left overs! IOW I almost always cook more for supper so I'd have enough for lunch. It may be a week before I have the "make aheads" and I sure don't seal them in the meantime. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and is coming from a chap who enjoyed a tasty bowl of ham & bean soup just 2 days ago that has been frozen for the last 5 years! It was good!!!

• toasty
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #2027 by toasty
Replied by toasty on topic Re:Leftovers in the fridge.
No - I'm not a pro! And, in fact, I let my certification lapse so I should go through the food safety course again. But of course the restrictions for restaurants will be much more strict than what we might do at home.

I pulled and processed a strip loin this afternoon. Serving it at a party tomorrow.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds