WATER AT BOTTOM OF FREEZER

More
8 years 6 days ago #2831 by DP
WATER AT BOTTOM OF FREEZER was created by DP
Im using a chest freezer with a thermostat to keep the temp between 34 - 38f. I checked it after 2 weeks and the color of the meat was not like all the pictures ive seen and there was a lot of condensation on the freezer walls. The meat was still reddish, and no crust was forming. I removed everything from the freezer and at the bottom was a puddle @ 1/4 of water. I wiped it up and placed everything back. I checked it 3 days later and the color of the meat was turning dark like the photos ive seen, but the bag completely pulled away from the meat on 1 roast - no leak visible, and pulled away / developed a leak on the other one.

Was the freezer a bad idea to start with? The seals were good when I was using it as a freezer prior to this experiment.

The meat does not smell bad - should I salvage what I got?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 6 days ago #2832 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Re:WATER AT BOTTOM OF FREEZER
Bryan,
I'm not a refrigeration guy but IMO a freezer is meant to get below freezing and then maintaining a temperature at that frozen level. Since you were running it at a higher temp and it sounds like this may be an older freezer besides then I seriously wonder if it has the condensation removal capabilities of a refrigerator or a frost free freezer. Even the standing water seems to verify that. As meat ages its not unusual for the bag to pull away - especially since you have handled it. I'd be leery of the one that has leaked - if it were me, I'd go ahead steak it out and eat some and freeze the rest.
Ron

More
8 years 6 days ago #2833 by DP
Replied by DP on topic Re:WATER AT BOTTOM OF FREEZER
Thanks ron, it is a frost free freezer, and i wired the freezer cord through a ranco thermostat and have the set point at 38f with turn on differential at 4 degrees (34f). Guess im having steak tonight

More
8 years 6 days ago #2834 by DP
Replied by DP on topic Re:WATER AT BOTTOM OF FREEZER
Sorry Ron, youre right - its not a frost free chest freezer - I really screwed that one up.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds