First Dry Aging Experience

• snave
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #3414 by snave
First Dry Aging Experience was created by snave
First off, I'm a dry aged steak connisuer. Wherever my wife and I travel, we always seek out higher end steakhouses that offer dry aged beef.....Our last visit was to Gallaghers in Atlantic City.
My first experience with the Drybag system started 24 days ago with a choice boneless rib roast. I did everything by the book, aged 24 days in a fridge set to 34 degrees, opened the door once or twice a day to kick on the fan and circulate the air, racked it 2 inches of the fridge bottom so air could circulate. The roast deleloped a nice tight membrane, and looked axactly like the pictures on the web site. When we weighed it before cutting it up, it had lost 16.5% of it's initial weight .......I'm reasonably sure I did everything correctly.
We've been "wet aging" our beef for the last several years and coincidently, had a bonless rib in our aging fridge bought from the same butcher, from the same meat packing company, that was at the 5 week mark and ready to be cut into steaks......Great time to do a "blind" AB comparison.
We both have to say that other than a slight difference in texture to the dry aged steak......There was absolutely no difference in tast between the wet aged steak and the dry aged version........Needless to say, we were both dissapointed, especialy given the fact that after trimming, the dry aged meat had lost about 35% of it's initial weight.
Obviously I could have aged it longer, but it seems like most of the really good restraunts that dry age there beef, do it for 20-30 days.
Am I missing something here?
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #3415 by Chris Penning
Replied by Chris Penning on topic First Dry Aging Experience
I think you have your answer. You know dry aged beef so you have the palate. You did a side by side and weren't swayed by anything other than your taste. You realize the loss by moisture loss and trimming. I'm think I'm disappointed you didn't fall in love, but I don't think you'd enjoy the process knowing what you know. Me on the other hand, I just finished my first at 29 days, was impressed and see this as the first of many.

Regards,
Chris

• snave
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #3416 by snave
Replied by snave on topic First Dry Aging Experience
When I said I was dissapointed, it was because we were hoping it would work.
I guess I'm asking if anyone has a suggestion as to what I can do to get that intense oakey dry aged flavor I love???

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 years 7 months ago #3420 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First Dry Aging Experience
Mark, in spite of your disappointment and comments I still want to welcome you to the forum. I have several thoughts so please bear with me.

I would bet dollars to donuts that all of the wonderful high end steak houses you and your wife have experienced serve nothing but prime meat which has been commercially dry aged by packing houses/wholesalers which have been in business for years and stake their reputations on consistency of product from experience over many years and from aging literally tons of beef!

When you compared your wet aged beef to your Drybag beef are you saying your wet aged beef compared to that of the expensive steak houses?

Personally I have found that the sub-primals that I have aged in the Drybags benefit from a longer aging which is permissible due to the control. In addition I have aged a number of sub-primals and my experience is the weight loss is most noticeable in the short term and trials off after say 35 days.

Granted the wet aging means less trimming loss and less weight loss, but when you stop and think about it weight loss comes from the removal of tasteless water! Wet aging retains that tasteless water!

Ron

• snave
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #3422 by snave
Replied by snave on topic First Dry Aging Experience
"When you compared your wet aged beef to your Drybag beef are you saying your wet aged beef compared to that of the expensive steak houses?"
No......Not at all. That's why I decided to try the Drybag. I was hoping to duplicate the flavor of the dry aged steaks we've enjoyed in various restraunts.
At this point in my early dry aging career, all I can say is that the flavor of the dry aged rib that we tried, is no better, flavor wise, than the wet aged variety.
Calling my local butcher to order a boneless rib in "prime"
I'll report back with the results.

Mark

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #3423 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic First Dry Aging Experience
Mark,

Here's some other points to consider. You mentioned the meat was graded as choice, which while good is not prime like the expensive steak houses served you. I bet your individual steaks at the good places probably cost as much as 50% of the amount that you paid for that whole sub-primal that you aged - right?

Also 24 days for a thick chunk of meat like a rib eye is just too short in my book and needs to go at least 35 days in a Drybag though my personal preference is 45 days.

You also compared your wet aged that went 35 days to the 24 day one in the Drybag...I'm not sure that was a fair comparison.

...and lastly you reported a total of 35% loss after aging and trimming out the aged piece. That tells me you trimmed back to grocery store red as I call it. Personally that tells me after the effort to attain the taste of dry aged beef you threw it away.

Ron
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by RRP.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds