Newbie question and first attempt with Lomo

• BillG58
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #4651 by BillG58
I am trying my first Lomo and which is a 5 lb pork loin. Tthe video says to leave it in the cure until "firm".

I am not sure how firm it should be. It has been in the cure for 12 days now and isn't particularly hard, it smells great, no off odor or anything, just wondering how long it should be in the cure and was wondering if someone could give an example of the firmness i.e. like a well done pork chop or something like that.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #4652 by droth455
Replied by droth455 on topic Newbie question and first attempt with Lomo
With relatively small pork tenderloins, you're fine after a couple weeks or even 1 week most likely. More never hurts. Once it's cured, it's cured and won't go bad.

You'll probably be able to advertise you finished product as nitrate free because it will all have broken down into harmless nitrous oxide.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of the finished product.

• BillG58
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #4779 by BillG58
Replied by BillG58 on topic Newbie question and first attempt with Lomo
Thank you,

It's been 4 weeks today in the dry bag and the weight has gone from 1792g to 1205g. I am wondering how you tell when it is finished.

Should it be hard like a salami or is it the amount of weight loss (dehydration)?

I will be posting pictures soon. :)

Thanks

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #4780 by serbcccc3
Replied by serbcccc3 on topic Newbie question and first attempt with Lomo
Hey ive done a few pork loins myself all around 4-5lbs or so, so ill give you my experience. I never had the loins in a cured for more than 14 days... usually around 12-14 days really, and it seemed to be fine. Once I washed off the salt/spices and cure, I would have it drybag sealed in the fridge for about 7-8 weeks and they came out great. I didnt do any weight measurements at all, i just learned by trial and error. The first one actually was taken out a little to early, but i just threw it in a ziploc in the fridge for a few days, and it continued to dry out. Oh and my loins were all pretty damn hard, and slicing them without a slicer is a challenge, but when you slice them thin, they are great.

Just FYI - my "seasoning" for the cure was a good teaspoon of cure #2, and then just salt, about a 1/4cup, and it came out deliciously salty. This time around i also added one teaspoon of old hickory smoked salt as well, just to see what happens!

They all came out AWESOME so enjoy.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by serbcccc3.

More
5 years 10 months ago #4781 by droth455
Replied by droth455 on topic Newbie question and first attempt with Lomo
Bill G - I would consider 30% weight loss a minimum. You're around 32% now so you could open it up and try it, but it seems like most people prefer to go a little longer. I just opened my first bresaola at 35% weight loss and I was pretty happy with it.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

• BillG58
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #4825 by BillG58
Replied by BillG58 on topic Newbie question and first attempt with Lomo
After 35 days and 40% weight loss

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Thanks for your responses and help.

Oh, tastes great also. :laugh:

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds