3 weeks away from home - to cut or not to cut

• WalkinDude
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #5177 by WalkinDude
So I have 15 lbs of USDA prime ribeye in the umai bag which will hit 28 days this Friday. I just found out I have to travel for work and will be gone for 3 weeks. Is it ok to leave the meat in the fridge this long without air circulation or should I just cut the steaks over the weekend before I leave?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 years 8 months ago #5179 by RRP
Is it still in the UMAi bag? If so then adding another 21 days to the already 28 just makes 49 and with a huge chunk-o-cow like the rib eye it will be just fine. Personally I prefer my rib eyes at at least 45 days though 60 is even better! Otherwise if you have already removed it from the bag then go ahead and cut and trim it and then freeze the individual steaks - but for your sake I hope you go for the 49 days - you won't be sorry!!! Ron

• WalkinDude
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #5189 by WalkinDude
Replied by WalkinDude on topic 3 weeks away from home - to cut or not to cut
Thanks for the response, Ron. So to verify, you don't see any issue leaving it (it's still in the Umai bag) in the fridge for 3 weeks without opening the door to let in fresh air?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 years 8 months ago #5190 by RRP
As long as your refrigerator is properly working and circulating the air as well as drawing off the condensation you will be fine - BUT now I have to ask what your set up is! If it is one of those small dormitory size boxes that merely chill and not circulate then I'll take my advice back and tell you to go ahead, cut it now and freeze the steaks. Sorry - I guess I should have asked where and in what you were aging the meat in. Ron

• WalkinDude
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #5191 by WalkinDude
Replied by WalkinDude on topic 3 weeks away from home - to cut or not to cut
Thanks for the reply, Ron. Looks like I'll be good to go leaving it for 3 weeks. I have your standard kictchen fridge, 2/3 for the refridgerator and top 1/3 for the freezer. Gonna be awesome to come home to those steaks.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
5 years 8 months ago #5192 by RRP
Good!!! You'll be just fine and have some awesome aged meat waiting upon your return! Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds