• KAMANODENTAL
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #5966 by KAMANODENTAL
Coppa was created by KAMANODENTAL
Aloha

Just a question about time and weight. I made a couple of small coppas (about 2.5 lbs each) I followed all the required recipes with time and weight loss. This is my first try . I have been 5 weeks out and loss of a little over 1/3 weight. I opened one of the coppas and it looked good and the taste was fair. My question is...the center of the meat did not seem to be cured and was soft compared to the outer areas. (not cured enough) I did note that there some air in the bag. If I left it there longer, would the cure be more centered in the meat. The colour is good and the outer meat tastes good. I am not at home to take pictures and will try later.

Mahalo
Kamano

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #5967 by Jim
Replied by Jim on topic Coppa
Hi Kamano,

One question: How long did you cure the coppa before bagging into UMAi Dry?
Basically, the salt that you cure the coppa in has to migrate to the center of the meat and draw some moisture out of there before the drying step that can take up to two weeks and the meat should be relatively "stiff".
Having said that, eventually the moisture will migrate out of the meat anyway, it may take a few more weeks.
The "air" in the bag doesn't matter at all since UMAi Dry is not a vacuum bag, but rather a membrane that protects the meat while it is drying in the fridge. Some coppa's can take up to 3 months to dry, you may have cracked it out a bit too early.

• KAMANODENTAL
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #5968 by KAMANODENTAL
Replied by KAMANODENTAL on topic Coppa
Aloha Jim

Mahalo for the reponse...I believe I cured it in the fridge about 7-10 days. I checked for firmness and it seem quite firm to me. I do believe that you are correct in that I jumped the gun a bit. I resealed the coppa and will wait another month to see how it turns out. The Meat was on sale and it was a good time for me to experiment on the coppa. Meat is very very expensive here in Hawaii...so I hate to waste.

Mahalo
Kamano

More
5 years 2 months ago #5970 by nepas
Replied by nepas on topic Coppa
Its going to take some time for the Coppa. Mine was weeks before i sliced it. I thought dang its not cured in the middle but it was fine.

Keep us posted.

We are full time RV'rs. 40' 5th wheel.

More
5 years 2 months ago #5972 by Deelicious
Replied by Deelicious on topic Coppa
Hi All

please help. i have recently attempted my first Carcuterie Copa.

it has been drying for 7 weeks now and i feel its ready to eat.

however im a little concerned about a little white patch that has developed on the meat inside the bag.
people have told me to be carefull of mold?

please see link to photo and advise if you think this will be safe to eat.

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/jpatamisi/Copa1_zpsc50764d3.jpg

thanks

• moscovicidoru
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Cooking for fun!
More
5 years 2 months ago #5984 by moscovicidoru
Replied by moscovicidoru on topic Coppa
I have the same problem with my coppa. The inner part is kind of soft and a little bit moist. The main problem is I cut it in 4 pieces and don't know what to do now: can I eat it, should I dry it more, how can I do that? Somebody please help!!

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds