Coppa

More
5 years 2 months ago #5985 by Jim
Replied by Jim on topic Coppa
In principle if the meat has lost about 35-40% of its weight it should be ready to slice. If you have uneven drying, you may want to wait a few more weeks. It is difficult to say if something is safe to eat or not without looking at it, smelling it, touching it etc.
Basically the entire UMAi Dry process takes place in a refrigerated environment which makes it safer.
The Coppa that is shown in the UMAi Dry video was also a little soft in the center and it was perfectly good eating.

Also, it is possible for small areas of white mold growth to appear on the surface, this same white mold often covers the entire surface of a traditionally aged Coppa.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• moscovicidoru
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Cooking for fun!
More
5 years 2 months ago #5986 by moscovicidoru
Replied by moscovicidoru on topic Coppa
My coppa lost 35.55% of weight but still soft and a little bit moist in the middle. Can I put all 4 pieces in a dry bag and let it dry for another few weeks or should I eat it as is? The smell and taste is awesome.

More
5 years 2 months ago #5987 by Jim
Replied by Jim on topic Coppa
Doru,
You can definitely reseal the meat into UMAi Dry and let it continue to dry, however you may not get the bond that you got originally since the surface of the meat is already dry. At 35% the meat is pretty much cured and dried. If you like a firmer texture, next time you can increase the salt amount you add in the curing stage, it will get saltier and firmer.

• moscovicidoru
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Cooking for fun!
More
5 years 2 months ago #5988 by moscovicidoru
Replied by moscovicidoru on topic Coppa
Thanks Jim. I decided to eat it as is but next time I'll be more careful on the curing stage and definitely I will leave it to dry longer

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds