Dried Meats/sausage without the use of instacure

• Elad690
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #7500 by Elad690
Hi,
I would like to make any Nitrites/Nitrates free meats/sausages but all the recipes asks for them, what do i need to change in the recipe beside not adding them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7501 by Jim
Hello Elad,

Instacure or sodium nitrite is used in dry cured meats is for safety reasons to prevent growth of pathogens that can harm a human.
There are dry cured products sold in US that are labeled "nitrite free", however they utilize nitrites found in vegetables like celery. The processors that sell these products are using celery extract or celery seed to add nitrite to the meat. We do not recommend making dry cured meats without the use of sodium nitrite.

• Elad690
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #7502 by Elad690
Hi and thanks for the fast reply,
I'm aware of all that you wrote above but I have customers who adopted the "Paleo diet" in which they consume only " presertive free" Food, so I have to find a way to manufacture nitrite free meats for them.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7503 by crustyo44
Replied by crustyo44 on topic Dried Meats/sausage without the use of instacure
Hi Elad,
If your customers are eating green vegetables like spinach, celery etc etc they are already consuming nitrite.
Do NOT make any cured meats without it as Jim wrote.
In Australia we had several deaths years ago just because somebody did NOT include it in commercially made salami.
Jan.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7504 by Charles
This wouldn't be a great service to your customers to sell them nitrite free charcuteries. By the way just read a book saying that at the end, celery finally transforms in more nitrites than Instacure does.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7505 by shuswap
I like Michael Ruhlman's article on this subject ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/ Elad I suggest you do some research on using celery powder before you make up your mind. Another approach is to educate your consumers.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.545 seconds