Pork Leaf Fat versus Back Fat

• maynard
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #9346 by maynard
Pork Leaf Fat versus Back Fat was created by maynard
Can leaf fat be substituted for the back fat in Salami recipies? I've never seen any recipe call for leaf fat, but thought that could be because its more expensive and not needed, are there any reasons not to use leaf fat it is after all a better product imo?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #9348 by Trebor
Replied by Trebor on topic Pork Leaf Fat versus Back Fat
Definitly not! Leaf fat, AKA leaf lard, or organ fat from the inside of the pig is soft and is not good for making salamis as it smears easily. It makes great lard for cooking as it also renders easily.

Hard back fat is what you need for good salami.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Trebor.

• maynard
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #9351 by maynard
Replied by maynard on topic Pork Leaf Fat versus Back Fat
have you ever tried it? Because I've read that before, but also come upon this information from this book Handbook of Analysis of Edible Animal By-Products
edited by Leo M.L. Nollet, Fidel Toldra. "leaf fat has melting point of 110-118F while back fat has melting point of 86-104F. I'll also mention i have used leaf lard to make many types of sausages very successfully from pork based Italian fennel to lamb and venison mergeuz.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #9352 by Trebor
No I have never used it in a dry cured sausage where fat smearing could easily coat the meat and casings and prevent drying. Hard Back fat also cuts to more defined pieces that adds to eye appeal, and has a much nicer mouth feel on a raw(uncooked) product, as opposed to soft and mushy fat. Using in fresh sausages like you mentioned is fine, as long as the fat is frozen or near frozen when grinding and mixing. Its also great to use in emulsified sausages.
Another Toldra book that may interest you is here: www.academia.edu/8548143/handbook_of_fermented_meat_and_poultry

I am not saying you cant use soft fat but if you have a choice....

• maynard
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #9353 by maynard
Replied by maynard on topic Pork Leaf Fat versus Back Fat
first off id like to really thank you for your replies Trebor it is much appreciated. The main reason i had the question is that back fat is harder for me to get than the leaf we have at work, ive called every grocery store and meat purveyor in the area and only back fat i could find was a 60# case. There was a fair bit of fat on the pork butt i bought that i saved, probably 75% of the amount needed for recipe should i use that and supplement with the leaf fat?

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #9354 by Trebor
Your welcome! Even though traditional methods use certain ingredients without giving an explaination, there was a trial and error reason.

I would use the 75% and avoid using the leaf lard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maynard

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds