Capicola curing/meat not firm

• Palbs
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 6 months ago #9964 by Palbs
Capicola curing/meat not firm was created by Palbs
New to curing meat so I decided to try a capicola and bresaola. I am coming up on week 2 of my cure time and neither my capicola or bresaola has firmed up. I was meticulous is weighing the salt content base on weight and recipe. I then began the cure process in a bag sealed bag (based on other forum topics I don’t believe this to be the problem) I was then stored in the fridge and subsequently massaged and turned periodically. There was not much liquid loss in the vac bag, I also transferred both over to ziplocks around day 10 to see if they would firm up or produce more water loss and they haven’t. They seem as pliable as when they were first started. Did I do something wrong? Is there something I should do? Should I just begin my transfer over to the umai bag and hope for then best?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9965 by Trebor
Replied by Trebor on topic Capicola curing/meat not firm
What % of salt and cure did you add?

• Palbs
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 6 months ago #9966 by Palbs
Replied by Palbs on topic Capicola curing/meat not firm
I used 3%kosher and .25%pink my eye of round weighed 1.185kg and I used 2.9grams of pink and 35grams of kosher coppa was 1.51kg and used 3.75grams pink and 45grams kosher

More
1 year 6 months ago #9968 by Trebor
Replied by Trebor on topic Capicola curing/meat not firm
OK. Then you should be fine. It will firm up as it dries in the UMAI bags. Small cuts of whole muscle don't lose a lot of weight from moisture displacement from the salt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Palbs

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds