Knives

• DoyleS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #802 by DoyleS
Knives was created by DoyleS
I would be interested in knowing what knives members have found best for trimming and cutting the sub Primals into steaks for both Rib Eye and New York cuts. Although I have a decent set of kitchen knives, I have been looking at the Forschner 5 inch boning knive just for the trimming and cutting of steaks. Well hidden the rest of the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 5 months ago #803 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Knives
I too have a number of knifes in my arsenal, but my "go to" knife for cutting and trimming purposes is this 8" Victorinox.

This is a cross between a standard chef's knife and a Japanese version that is very sharp, but doesn't have the heft of the chef''s style and therefore slices and dices quicker and easier. A couple years ago this knife was the top of the recommended list by the mag Cook's Illustrated. BTW I store all my good knifes in these hard plastic knife safes and it pays off!

• Aegwyn11
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #805 by Aegwyn11
Replied by Aegwyn11 on topic Knives
I use an 8" breaking knife. Stays hidden most of the time. I really like the breaking knife for breaking down subprimals...the curved blade really does seem to help.

tinyurl.com/49l7ydy

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
8 years 5 months ago #807 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Knives
Aegwyn11 wrote:

I use an 8" breaking knife. Stays hidden most of the time. I really like the breaking knife for breaking down subprimals...the curved blade really does seem to help.

When you say stays hidden I wonder if you mean the same as that means in our home. Background...for some reason my beloved of nearly 45 years of marriage has a phobia about knifes being easily accessible! I say she has watched too many horror movies! :laugh:

So what I did was to come up with one inconspicuous bottom kitchen drawer and mounted magnetic bars to hold my knifes in place (BTW this is an old picture and now the drawer is practically full.

Then the old magic trick fooling the eye and mind takes over...the false bottom panel!

• Aegwyn11
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #812 by Aegwyn11
Replied by Aegwyn11 on topic Knives
lol thats awesome....my version of "hidden" is in a plastic sheath under a pile of exposed knives :P

• DoyleS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #813 by DoyleS
Replied by DoyleS on topic Knives
I ordered the 8" Victorinox yesterday at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% discount coupon and no shipping charges. The only problem is that it will not arrive in time for the first trimming of the New York Strip that will occur this weekend at 28 days.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds