Meat slightly froze

• Phobicbanana
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #13836 by Phobicbanana
Meat slightly froze was created by Phobicbanana
Ok so this is my first time dry aging. The bagging process went pretty smoothly, a few difficulties but nothing too bad. Im in the 5th day of the process my concern is that my 19lb rib roast slightly froze while in the fridge. I looked it over and felt a couple spots where the meat felt icy specifically in the tail area where the roast tapers off. I try to keep my fridge between 40° and 34° but it has started raining so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Will this have any type of negative affect in the dry aging process?

Sorry for the novel but im nervous and I'd hate to see a beautiful piece of meat go to waste. I appreciate the time and help thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #13837 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat slightly froze
Welcome aboard!!!

You need not worry - it will be fine...BUT if you do need to keep the high side below the 40º you posted and you will be MUCH better! BTW how long do yo plane to age that nice rib roast? Being that size I am assuming it must be a bone-in. Right? If so then longer will give you better noticeable results.
Ron

• Phobicbanana
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #13842 by Phobicbanana
Replied by Phobicbanana on topic Meat slightly froze
First if all, Thank you for the piece of mind!
I actually had to remove the bones because it wouldn't fit in the bag and I didn't want to risk tearing the bag and being unaware of it. Originally I was planning on againg it for 30 days. But now that you mentioned it I'm thinking of aging it longer. I feel like a month wont be enough. So I'm thinking about 45 days minimum? Unless you suggest otherwise.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #13843 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Meat slightly froze
45 days works for me every time!!! and I betcha it will for you as well!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds