Dried meat off

• Piepmekr
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #14115 by Piepmekr
Dried meat off was created by Piepmekr
I just got my dry bag system and I am attempting to dry she a brisket for 60 days. When I put the meat in the bag I dried the meat off as much as I could. Did I just screw up by drying off the meat. If I did screw up could I fix this by wiping the meat with water then rebag the meat. I am only 4 days in and I noticed the bag was not very bonded.

Please advise.
Thanks
Kyle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #14117 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Dried meat off
Kyle - it is better to make a transfer of the meat from a wet cry-o-vac bag into a UMAi Dry® Bag rather than to rinse or wash it off - BUT don't get hung up!
At a mere 4 days you need not be concerned! Your bag only needs 70 to 80% adhesion to the meat!
Ron

• Piepmekr
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14122 by Piepmekr
Replied by Piepmekr on topic Dried meat off
After a week the bag has not bonded very much probably 35 to 45%. Is it safe to rebag. And how do I add moisture to make bag bond

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14123 by RRP
Sorry to to hear this. Had the meat you bagged a transfer from a cryovac one? Or was it raw meat from a butcher shop display case? when you say 35 to 45% then has the UMAi Dry® bag "ballooned" with substantial pockets of air? If I were you I would first try to find the leak in the bag and patch it. Then I would cut a small hole is the area with the most air and massage as much air out and then insert either a straw or piece of tubing and such as much of the remaining air then patch that hole. The problem of wetting the meat and using a new bag is that wetting it could introduce bacteria.
Ron

• Piepmekr
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #14124 by Piepmekr
Replied by Piepmekr on topic Dried meat off
It was from a butcher. The bag did not ballon it just didn’t stick to the meat how would I patch it
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Piepmekr.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14125 by RRP
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but if it has not ballooned then I'm not sure why you say it has not adhered to the meat. Given that the surface of the meat was already dry then it will take longer for the bag to adhere while the useless water is being dried out of the meat.
As for your future endeavors purchasing sub-primals in cryovac will give you immediate adhesion.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds