50 day dry aged steak taste and smell

• Dil950
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #14285 by Dil950
Apologies if this is a duplicate post. I posted last night and I don't see any record of it on my topics.

I started my first attempt with a NY strip a few days ago. Seal seems to be holding so I'm excited. But to figure out how long I want to age it, I bought some dry aged steaks from a reputable vendor. To get a good contrast in taste, I got some 21 day and 50 day Prime NY strips. Cooked them both at the same time (129 deg F sous vide for 2 hours and seared 1 min on each side) Both were uniformly pink after slicing.

To my surprise, the 21 day steak turned out much more tender and moist. I noticed the 50 day steak smelled a little like salami when i opened the vac pack. It wasn't overbearing or bad..so assumed it was the funk people talk about. But after cooking, the 50 day steak had a salami/jerky consistency and even tasted like salami. It was not tender at all. The 21 day steak came out perfect and ended up being a really really tender NY strip. (although as expected, it didn't taste much different than a normal wet aged steak)

So my concern is when to stop aging my own NY strip. I really don't want a large chunk of salami haha. Is this a normal outcome for 50 day or did something go wrong on the vendors side or the way I cooked it? Thanks for any insight. I was originally going to go 45 days but I'm leaning towards 35 now..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #14286 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic 50 day dry aged steak taste and smell
Welcome aboard! Yes the NY strip loin can be just fine at 21 or even 28 days. The reason is due to the thinness of the meat whereas a ribeye can benefit from 35 to 45 days due to the shape and thickness.
Ron

• Dil950
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #14287 by Dil950
Replied by Dil950 on topic 50 day dry aged steak taste and smell
Thanks Ron. If I understood it right..if the cut shrinks too much it will start to lose the tenderizing benefits? (also it sounds like that salami taste is normal for longer dry aging?) Thanks again

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #14288 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic 50 day dry aged steak taste and smell
I'm not sure that the tenderizing is lost or reversed, but the dryness does make it a bit more chewy. A few years back I went 60 days on a NY strip loin and it clearly was not as tender. I made a note in my margin to myself NOT to go 60 days again!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds