Desiccant in Basement Frig

• FredHickory
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 1 week ago #14301 by FredHickory
Desiccant in Basement Frig was created by FredHickory
Not sure Momma is going to let me age a chunk of meat in her new frig.

Has anyone used a desiccant inside their basement frig to remove moisture? It's pretty cool down there and I'm concerned it won't perform.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 months 1 week ago #14304 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Desiccant in Basement Frig
Sorry for your quandary, but no desiccant is going to absorb all the water the meat will release during the aging prospect.

I hear you about SWMBO's concern in her new refrig. Here's a trick that helped me the very first one I aged meat. I put a wire rack on the bottom shelf with meat on top and then put jars of pickles and this and that in front!!! That blocked the casual look by my wife and she soon forgot about it! Then after the aging process she realized just how great the aged steaks were she has never had an issue again with my dry aging effort!
Ron

• FredHickory
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 14 hours ago #14337 by FredHickory
Replied by FredHickory on topic Desiccant in Basement Frig
I bagged up a 13.25# USDA Prime Ribeye roast and a 7# Chuck roast. Put in the basement frig. Started last Friday.

Got the Ribeye roast at Sam's at about $13/lb. Bought a couple of steak's and they were fantastic. If this process makes them even better, I'm in for life. Saved and froze one steak for a side by side when the aging is done.

Bought a little $10, 6", USB fan at Lowes. Put it and a tub of DampRid in the box. Opening the frig and freezer doors everyday 3-4 times. Always wait until the unit kicks on.

So far it is looking good. Deeper red and a little stiff to the touch on Monday. Momma says the color is getting darker. I get back into town today, so hopefully I'll see some progress.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds