New to dry ageing in bang need help.

• JustinWilson
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 days ago #14328 by JustinWilson
New to dry ageing in bang need help. was created by JustinWilson
I am new to the bags and dry ageing. I sealed the bag and it looked reasonable tight but looking at it today i have noticed that it has not stuck as seen in other videos. the seal looks good but there is definitely more air in the bag. My loin is not getting as red as i would think it should because of the air also. the fat side is a light brown/grey and the bottom where it stuck is the bright red. it was started on 2/25/19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 months 3 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #14330 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic New to dry ageing in bang need help.
Welcome aboard, Justin. I'm not sure you have an issue, but please check out the Q&A of this forum and that should help you assess your situation.

In particular this one...
WHAT IF I NOTICE THAT THE VACUUM HAS BEEN LOST?

UMAi Dry® is not a vacuum bag, and is significantly more oxygen permeable. Ensure that you have the meat resting meat side down, fat cap up on the open wire rack. If you have not achieved a perfect vacuum, particularly if you have some small amount of air in the corners of the bag or in the divots when the bones have been cut from a ribeye, for instance, never fear. You will have good, consistent dry aging results with only 70 to 80% of the meat surface bonded.

However, if you notice within the first day or two that more than 25 to 30% of the meat has not maintained contact with the UMAi Dry® material, you should repeat the application with the vacuum sealer, ensuring the surface of the meat is moist to achieve the bond.

Ron
Last edit: 7 months 3 days ago by RRP.

• JustinWilson
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 days ago #14331 by JustinWilson
Replied by JustinWilson on topic New to dry ageing in bang need help.
thats what I am worried about. only about 30% of the bag has bonded to the bag. the fat part has not bonded.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 3 days ago #14334 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic New to dry ageing in bang need help.
Justin, If you bagged the meat and rested in on an open wire rack in a modern frost free refrigerator in regular use located within a consistently room temperature environment the entire surface should be turning brown by now, on the way to a nice mahogany bark.
"Red" says to me "no air flow." Do you happen to have it resting on a glass shelf? If so, the meat will rot wherever there is no airflow.
The fat cap often doesn't bond. It's not releasing "meat glue" and its not important.
You can dry age just fine in a floppy bag--but the air flow to all surfaces and the frost free fridge inside a room temp environment are absolutely essential.

Dry aging geek

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds