meat seems to have a rotten spot (need help)

• shawn1980
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #14575 by shawn1980
i am new to dry aging and i have a bone in rib roast aging, (currently at day 24). today i decided to flip it back to the fat cap side up and noticed a very wet spot with an almost pus like consistency. any help in this matter would be awesome. i am extremely nervous at the moment as all of you know, these cuts of meat are not cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #14576 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic meat seems to have a rotten spot (need help)
This sounds very curious. To be clear, UMAi Dry creates a protective environment for the meet to each. So long as there’s good airflow around the meat and a consistent temperature between 34 and 38° in the fridge, aging will proceed consistently.

What you describe sounds like an anomaly in the meat itself. Was this meat originally packed in processor Cryovac packaging? We ask this to be sure that the meat had not been handled or punctured prior to dry aging, as bacteria could be introduced.

Very rarely, people find a cut of meat that displays an anatomical anomaly from the animal. However, this is usually in the form of a pocket of dark discoloration (a tumor or growth).

Most likely, what do you have observed is simply a pool of myoglobin that the drying process has not yet even doubt. Be sure to sniff the surface to discern the difference between “aging” and “rotting”.

If you would like to post pictures, we could give you our opinion more specifically.

Dry aging geek

• Dil950
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #14577 by Dil950
Also, was it sitting on a glass fridge shelf or was it on a wire rack/shelf?

• shawn1980
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #14578 by shawn1980
Replied by shawn1980 on topic meat seems to have a rotten spot (need help)
Yes the meat came in a cryovac bag and is on a wire rack at temps between 33 and 37. I'm having a lot of trouble adding pictures

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #14579 by RRP
In order to post pictures here you need a host such as PhotoBucket. Then you click on the IMG linkage, copy and then just paste that link in the body of your text.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds