Has this gone bad? Soft parts after 30 days aging.

• Restrictedx
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #14596 by Restrictedx
The fat cap facing upwards while resting on a cookie rack has formed a very nice hard crust. It was not until i flipped it upside down to inspect it where I began to notice some softer parts of meat and grayish areas... now I am concerned if it is completely ruined. This is my second dry aged attempt. First 45 day ribeye went fantastically no issues, this is something else! Please reference picture and let me know what you think.

There is no foul smell as the bag is not open yet and still maintaining a proper seal.

https://ibb.co/Mkh4SKq
https://ibb.co/84brgCH
https://ibb.co/8gMtnSk
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Restrictedx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 1 week ago #14597 by RRP
Can you compare the pressure you need when you are pressing on those "softer parts" as compared to the hard fat cap?If they are NOT spongy soft then based on those pictures AND based on your nose report I believe you are fine.
Ron

• Restrictedx
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14598 by Restrictedx
Replied by Restrictedx on topic Has this gone bad? Soft parts after 30 days aging.
So basically the fat cap id compare to poking a rock when using fingers. As to the other side it would be like pressing on the green side of a dry sponge. It is semi hard but it definitely has a give and you can feel the soft texture underneath. I guess imagine styrofoam on a folded blanket. You know the surface is hard but it is still compressible.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 1 week ago #14599 by RRP
OK - I still believe your nose test is the best of the best tests. But if you feel otherwise let's go backwards to when you bought the meat. Was it from a grocery store or butcher shop meat display window? OR was it from a cryovac package?
Ron

• Restrictedx
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #14600 by Restrictedx
Replied by Restrictedx on topic Has this gone bad? Soft parts after 30 days aging.
Purchased in its vacuum bag from costco. It was cleaned very well with soapy water and alcohol to destroy all microbes on a clean surface. I then transferred it to the umai bag with clean gloves. First time had no complications, second time still not certain if its gone off or not but yea.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 months 6 days ago #14601 by RRP
As I said...

I still believe your nose test is the best of the best tests.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds